PTI caused 22-month delay in OLMT project, claims Punjab CM

LAHORE: Chief Minister Punjab Shehbaz Sharif remarked that Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) caused a 22-month delay in the Orange Line Metro Train project.
Sharif was speaking to the media during a visit to the construction site of project.
He also remarked that the work on the project should be expedited and labourers must work around the clock.
Shehbaz arrived at the construction site in a coaster without any protocol and visited different sites for the project in his two-hour-long visit.
He also reviewed the civil, mechanical and electrical aspects of the project, alongside visiting the underground parts of the project.

Later, he held a meeting on the project’s progress, which was also attended by Chinese officials.

He was briefed on the progress of the project and was assured by the officials of the swift and timely completion of the project.

Shehbaz expressed his satisfaction at the work and said he was happy to see the progress during his visit today to the project site

On October 8, last year, Shehbaz had unveiled the $1.6 billion mega-transport scheme in Punjab’s capital.

While addressing the event, he remarked that people levelling false allegations are wasting the time of nation.
When the metro bus project was under construction, our opponents called it ‘jangla bus’ and claimed that money has been embezzled.
Interestingly, our opponents then announced metro bus project in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. “However, there is no sign of metro bus in Peshawar,” he claimed.
“It was alleged that corruption worth Rs70 billion occurred in metro bus project. However, our opponents could not even prove Rs35 billion corruption,” remarked Shehbaz.

“If the corruption is proven then the nation can hold me accountable.”

In December last year, the Supreme Court dismissed the decision of the Lahore High Court halting work on selected sites of the project due to damage to heritage sites.
The court accepted the appeal of the Punjab government and others against the LHC decision with conditions and ruled by a 4-1 judgment that it observed no illegalities in the multi-billion rupee project.
A five-member bench of the Supreme Court, headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, had reserved its verdict in the case on April 17 that year.